White vinegar is a great cheap cleaning agent that is eco- friendly and has no added chemicals or toxins. Check out these 10 tips for different ways you can use vinegar to make your home sparkle:
1. Remove soap buildup and odors from the dishwasher by pouring a cup of white distilled vinegar inside the empty machine and running it through a cycle.
2. Clean the inside of the refrigerator with a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 white distilled vinegar. To get through stubborn grime use full strength white vinegar on a cloth or sponge (wear gloves to prevent your hands from drying out).
4. Fill a spray bottle with 1/4 white vinegar and 3/4 water to clean mirrors. Use a microfiber towel to leave mirrors clean and streak free.
5. Avoid using poisonous insect repellents and get rid of ants in your cupboard (or anywhere else for that matter) by wiping down shelves with a cloth soaked in white vinegar.
6. Deep clean your microwave by placing a bowl filled with equal parts water and white vinegar and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Remove the bowl with oven mitts and easily wipe down the inside of the microwave. Voila! No more scrubbing, the steam will literally just melt away the grime.
7. Easily wipe off sticker residue by rubbing vinegar on the sticky area, letting it sit for 5 minutes, and then wipe it off. So much easier!
8. Polish brass and copper by mixing 2 tablespoons of ketchup and 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar. Rub it on with a clean cloth until the metal is dry and shiny.
9. Remove stubborn grime from metal tools (such as scissors) without rusting them by wiping them down with a microfiber cloth soaked in white vinegar. Don’t use vinegar on iron, steel, chrome, or aluminum as it will cause oxidation, resulting in rust or corrosion. It works well with silver, but don’t let it sit for more than 5 minutes.
10. Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar and cover your showerhead with it, securing it tightly with a rubber band. Leave it for a few hours to remove lime scale buildup, then run hot water for a couple minutes to remove the smell.
To combat the strong smell of vinegar you can mix in essential oils (citrus or lavender are wonderful) or create your own sweet smelling homemade citrus infused vinegar concoction!
Important things to keep in mind:
- Never use vinegar on marble or natural stone surfaces. The surface will become permanently etched from the acid.
- Never mix vinegar with ammonia.
- Never use any other type of vinegar other than white vinegar, distilled white vinegar, and full strength vinegar. All other kinds are solely for cooking.
The weather is finally starting to warm up again and we all know what that means- the glorious season of Spring cleaning! Ok, so maybe it’s not our absolute favorite part of Spring (I am SO ready to ditch my winter coat and go shopping) but Handybook is here to help make it easier!
So here’s a fun idea to conquer that huge to-do list of things that need to be scrubbed and polished in half the time and twice the fun; host a Spring cleaning party!
Invite over your girlfriends, mix up some cocktails (which you can find some delicious, low-cal recipes for here), break out the hors d’oeuvres turn up the music, and get cleaning! By de-cluttering with your friends the work will go much faster, plus it’s a great excuse to have some much-needed girl time. And a great bonus? Your friends will have great ideas that you never even thought of for organizing your home and beautifying it for the warmer months ahead. Just make sure you return the favor, or even better- gift them a Handybook cleaning with our Spring discount package, and have that girl’s day out you’ve been meaning to do!
It’s that time of year again, as the frost finally begins to thaw and the tulip buds just start peeking through the ground, we can finally see the dawn of the warmer seasons ahead. But March also means that its time for spring-cleaning, a chance to open the blinds to let in some light and de-clutter our lives. So are you ready to tackle your spring projects? The hardest part is starting, and Handybook is here to help! With cleaning and organizational tips, DIY project ideas, and readymade to- do lists, spring cleaning this year will be easier than ever.
Having trouble deciding which clothes to give away? Try this quick tip- turn all of the hangers in your closet the opposite way, and each time you wear a piece of clothing turn it back. At the end of the year donate the clothes on any hangers still facing outward. If you haven’t worn it in a year, statistics show that you probably won’t wear it again.
Subscribe to our blog for regular updates on the best spring cleaning tips and tricks, plus opportunities to win Handybook discounts and free services!
Have any awesome tips that you’d like to share? Post them in the comments and share the love!