White vinegar is an amazingly effective, eco-friendly, inexpensive cleaning agent to use around the house. But as much as we love it, vinegar on its own can smell pretty horrible! Here is a SUPER easy way to make a homemade, sweet smelling citrus-vinegar concoction for cleaning:
What You‘ll Need:
1. White distilled vinegar
2. A clean glass jar (with a tight fitting lid)
3. Citrus peels (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, etc.)
• Take a glass jar with a lid and fill with citrus peels (one fruit or a mix, depending on what you prefer).
• Pour in white distilled vinegar until the peels are completely covered.
• Cover the jar tightly and let sit for 1-2 weeks, gently shaking the jar occasionally to keep things mixed.
*We recommend labeling the jar with permanent marker and storing it out of reach from kids just as a precaution (although it is completely nontoxic and healthy to ingest, we still don’t recommend drinking it like orange juice!).
• When the mixture smells more like fruit than vinegar you’re good to go! Strain out the vinegar into another jar and substitute it in all of your white vinegar cleaning methods.
*This sweet mixture is also great for cooking with vinegar or using as a deep cleansing hair rinse if you want a sweet, fruity twist!
If you’re looking for some awesome new ideas check out our top ten ways to use vinegar here at Handybook. Do you have any creative ways that you use vinegar at home? Post your favorite methods in the comments and share the love!